View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
Hey Tom, if in that time the numbers have halved but the overall format, time frame, venue essentially hasn't changed what makes you think its the "racing" that is seeing the decrease? If the format when you attended was the same and attracted 110 entrants why wasn't the racing format a turn off for those entrants then?

Not picking a fight, I'm encouraging your views and am interested as to your perspective on this?
Hey Spooky,
Just thinking out loud, and not speaking for anyone...

Maybe because in that time, lap times have dropped significantly?
...and there seems to be a bit of focus in various forums on this. The unintended consequence being people assume that it is a race meet of sorts?

For mine, I'm glad it is a track event. Where else could I press the accelerator down on my car and not have it impounded?

I'm a cheap-sh!t and worry that I would break or bin my pride and joy. So I really like the fact that one can self regulate their speed. The fact the organises seem compassionate towards those at various levels and experience is great, and should also be promoted and celebrated.

A couple ideas... Feel free to shoot them down if you don't think they can work or add value

Is there a formal initiation process for newbies?
IE: By that I mean an organised buddy system where an experienced driver "tutors" newbies?

Or further could there be more focus by clubs on "driver training" leading up to the event. This could double as a promotional event for Nationals. Either through the clubs, or even via a third party like John Bowe driver training or driving dynamics or others. Perhaps even approach them for sponsoring the event, but instead of these cash poor companies shelling out money, they offer some time and expertise, if not on the day, then in the lead up with either ongoing discounted education for members, further discounts for attendees? Or a cobra day group discount leading up to the event? It might help to be a softly softly approach to getting people comfortable with being on the track... (Anyway, just some thoughts parallel for how we integrate newbies and transition them into cycling when they are mindful of mixing it with traffic on the road).

PS: Thanks for all that you guys do to keep this thing going!

Last edited by Dimis; 10-16-2016 at 09:45 PM..