View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 10:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dimi, I certainly like the idea of some driver training/buddy type stuff. If people come away from the event feeling as though they have learnt to drive better as a result that has too be a good thing. I know after my first nats I said I would never try and expose the cars limits on the street as I learnt on the track just how easy it was to have a lose (but thankfully in a controlled environment.)

As to the event overall getting significantly faster...... The more seasoned guys would be able to share on this than I. There is no doubt some of the racers like Madison and LJ etc who all have a motorsport background interest are lapping very fast in street driven cars. Mads, LJ and Kim all went around between 1.05 - 1.07s. I think Ash and Chunky probably have done 1.05s in there cobra? But I'd suggest the rest of the every day driver field aren't too far away from where they were in 2009. The track resurfacing has made overall for better times I must admit. But are these guys going quick a deterrent for those who aren't???

I do think the race car class has got A LOT faster. Scotty H in 09 did a 1.12. Geoff T did a 1.06 in 2012 and I think Paul from Vic did a 1.02 on old slicks in 2014. I think Gary Walther may have done a 1.02 back in 2006? Those cars are getting very fast but are all designed and built to do so. I like seeing these BIG BANGERS running around as much as seeing the shiny ones. For street class cars as a guide Pete H (who has won KK) did a 1.14 in 2009 and then a 1.12 in 2012. But from a competitive perspective I think LJ, Pete, Mads, Kim etc etc would all be in 5l class. All those guys would be quick in a Prius! You could move to the controlled tyre class if you felt you couldn't compete for KK in the open 5L category I guess if chasing the KK was your thing.

The biggest sole gain in lap times bang for buck is tyres and I think many now are buying their new boots pre-event to get their lap times down. I can only think of Scotty H doing that back in the day but now many looking to get a personal edge are doing it.

Back in the early to mid 2000's most drove their cars from Qld and now most trailer them. If someone had of said to me that in 2017 guys would have Winnebago's and 5th wheel trailers etc for travelling around in I'd have laughed my a$$ off and yet next year we will have 4 x 5th wheel trailers and a Winnebago at the first round of the A series. Its evolution I guess but shouldn't be a deterrent for those who want to pack a duffle bag and a shifting spanner and load it into their cars boot and drive their car to the Nats. Certainly there's more than enough help and parts in those 5th wheel trailers to help everyone out if needed. That's what I love about the Nats the most people helping people.

At the end of the day some come to the Nats to chase the title, some come for the social activities, some come for the drive to get away from work and family, some come to beat last years times and some come to catch up with everyone they had a laugh with the year before or combinations of all of the above.

Its no easy task for the NSW committee to put the show together as well as satisfy what everyone wants and/or thinks is needed. I hope though that with all the great suggestions made on this topic they may see some ideas worthy of persuing.

Maybe the Qld, Vic, SA, ACT, WA etc clubs should put together their own state based Nats committees to help with the gee up on numbers for the annual event???

(Kim, as you know Im happy to help wherever possible doing whatever is required from a QLD perspective so please keep me in the loop if I can be of assistance.)

Spookypt