Old 11-11-2016, 10:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Cobalt,
Thanks--I will definitely need to psych myself up for this, as I'm not a terribly patient person, particularly when it comes to bureaucrats.

My plan is to get the MSO as soon as I can so I can get my number and CHP appointment. I'm hoping I will have an MSO by this time next year, which will give me 2017 and early 2018 to apply before my car arrives. From what I've found out SB100 numbers are plentiful after 2009, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

I did find several posts on this site that RodKnock pointed me to that were very helpful--I plan to print them out along with the DMV website pages with the salient parts highlighted for reference in my discussions with the various folks. There are a couple decent emissions stations in Pleasanton that I've used for other things--I still need to find out if they can do the certification I need for SB100 or if there is a "special" emissions place I need to visit.

AC
You'll have to go to a BAR referee. Not a "special emission place."

"Smog Certification
The first smog certification for an SPCNS vehicle must be issued by a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee Center. After inspecting the vehicle, the BAR Referee Center will issue a BAR reference data sheet and affix a BAR label to the vehicle. Subsequent smog inspections may be performed by any licensed smog check station when the BAR label is intact and emission equipment is the same."