View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
As the title says, I want to build a reliable, pump-gas-slurping daily-driver-worthy 428 to put into a street Cobra. I'm looking for suggestions for how to proceed--cam, input, compression ratio, carb. The car will have headers with 2" under car exhaust.

Here are my initial thoughts:
Holley vacuum secondary 750 with electric choke
Blue Thunder Dual Plane 428CJ 4V H/R Manifold
Blue Thunder med riser OE cylinder heads
Cam??
Double roller timing chain
Stock crank
Pistons, rings, and rods?
Aviad or Canton oil pan and sump
Pentronix ignition
MSD
aluminum water pump

Thanks in advance,
AC
AC - if you are using ERA's headers/collectors, I would try to see if you can run a 2-1/2 or at least 2-1/4 collector pipe back to the muffler. The collector size on mine were 2-1/2 so they matched up with a 2-1/2 inch muffler inlet. Then for clearance and simplicity go with ERA's standard 2 inch tail pipes. I know finding a 2-1/4 inlet - 2 inch outlet muffler is not a problem. I would have to see if a 2-1/2 inlet - 2 inch outlet muffler is available.

And it will be important for ERA to know what head and exhaust port you have on the heads you are running so they can get the header exhaust flanges right. FE exhaust outlet patterns get confusing real fast.

If you now or later decide you want to make up some custom tailpipes that look a bit more original - run level to slightly sloped up at the tip - it's really easy to make a mock up out of PVC pipe to take to a muffler shop and have tailpipes bent. With an outside offset muffler outlet - the alignment into the wheel well and out the back is all in one vertical plane - all the way out. So the pattern just has to copy the bends up and down and final angle of the tail pipes.