View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the input!

I'd like to see something like 400 engine peak HP and 450 ft-lbs torque as flat as possible. In reality I'd probably be fine with 350 HP or less, but I'd like to have "braggin' rights" to have a 400 HP motor dyno slip. Redline of 6000 is more than enough--I'll never race this car--it's just a sports car.

I'd be ok with a stroker as long as I get the reliabilty, but not sure that I need it. I'd like mileage to be north of 10 mpg with reasonable driving. It seems like a bone stock 428 CJ would come close to my desired performance--maybe a bit lower than I'd like the HP to be? Need to look up the stock 428 CJ compression ratio--I'd think around 9:1, but maybe higher with the leaded gas available back then.

If I decide to have ERA do the complete build (which is how I'm leaning--still need to make sure I can swing it) I like the idea of the engine builder being close so any initial issues can be sorted, as well as reducing the chance of delays because of flywheel/clutch/tranny interfaces.

IF I end up doing some or all of the build myself, I'll look up Tom Lucas. I sure hope I won't be into this motor for $15k--estimates I've gotten both locally and back east are ~$11k for the motor I'm looking to build.

Last edited by ACHiPo; 11-25-2016 at 03:00 PM..