View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post
My car will climb a 10% grade in 4th gear, at +3500 feet elevation, doing 65-75mph, without issues. It doesn't lug, and it feels strong.

However, you are correct that If I am running through the mountain curves in a more spirited manner, then 3rd gear makes both me, and the car, much happier...

The rear gearing has to be balanced to the transmission. With a Toploader (or a non-overdrive Richmond 5-speed), 3.31's or 3.42's are just about perfectly suited to the internal ratios in the transmission (again, JMHO).

With an overdrive 5 speed (TKO or T5)- you have to calculate the correct rear end ratio based on the specific ratios used for 1st and 5th gears in your particular gearbox (Especially with the T5's, because there are so many different T5 gear sets out there).

Zarpox says he has a WC- T5 with the 2.95 first gear, and the .73 overdrive... This is the exact same trans I had in my previous green car (which also had a 302 that ran out of breath early, and could barely turn 6000RPM).

I ran 3.73 rear gears in that car (with the same 295/50 rear tires) and the overdrive was perfect, but 1st gear was REALLY short- I had to shift almost immediately (at about 30mph) under WOT acceleration. I always felt like 3.55's (or possibly 3.42's) would have probably been better choices for that engine and transmission combo.
I
I concur regarding the rear-end ratio. I had a top loader with a 3:54 rear end and I thought that it was the perfect combination. Engines are much happier when they are running in the middle of their power band, then when they are at the bottom of it.

Good point about being careful that he is not running an engine at the upper end of the power rating of the transmission. It eventually will catch up with you if components are run at the maximum of their capability.