View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham
Not Ranked     

some updates regarding the engine build

if anyone uses an RPM crankshaft in the future, be aware:

I know Blair had to do some work with the crankshaft to get the bearing sizes just right. i know he did a good job, but if anyone is thinking of using one of these in the future, keep in mind they are not plug-and-play

i found that out on my end. actually on both ends of the crank. Both where the flywheel attaches, and the balancer on the other side of the crank, the surfaces were machined with a tiny lip. just enough to completely keep the flywheel or balancer from going on at all. i had to use a flap wheel to lightly hone the inside of both the flywheel and the balancer, BUT the big helper was using a piece of sandpaper to take the tiny lip off the edge of the crank ends. then everything went on as supposed to (the flywheel just pushes on but the balancer needs an installation tool.)

i haven't put the pilot bushing in the end of the crank yet, but I can't wait. (that's me being sarcastic.) On previous aftermarket cranks (a Scat in a chevy), I had some trouble getting it in place. once in place, the pilot bushing somehow compressed just a bit, so the transmission input shaft bound up there. so when I started the car, it wouldn't go in gear because the trans was locked to the crank, regardless of what I did with the clutch. it took me 3 times in and out with the trans before I figured it out. that sucked, but at least it is easy to remove a muncie (light aluminum) from a 57 chevy (nothing but space all around). I hope I don't have to remove the trans from the cobra. looks like no fun.

on kirkham's assembly posting here a few years ago, notice how they had trouble getting the pilot bearing in the end of the aftermarket crank. For some reason, the hole is not milled correctly on many of these it seems. i'll let you know when i cross that bridge.

the moral of the story is aftermarket parts often have fitment issues. My last project was a completely stock Big block chevy with all original parts. everything fit nicely. EXCEPT for the one and only aftermarket piece - power steering pump bracket (the original broke) -