View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 05:53 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

JKG, looks like this is going to be a great build! For what it's worth, it seems like I went through many of the same decision making issues that you are so take these for what they're worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkg2101 View Post
As much as I would have liked an original-style armando or aviad oil pan, i had to cut costs somewhere, so I got a moroso road race pan. it seems to have nice baffling and was much less expensive
I started out with the same pan, still have it on a shelf. If you're not going to be experiencing sustained lateral Gs it'll probably be fine. With mine, I'd start seeing the O/P gauge waver even on long freeway ramps. On actual road race courses it was totally unsatisfactory. I wound up picking up a used Aviad from Kirkham and never had another issue.

Quote:
bargains on this engine: distributor is an old unit I rebuilt, and added a steel gear, which I found in my dad's old collection of parts.)
I started out with a dual point dist with one pair of points backed off to trigger the MSD hidden under the dash. When I switched to a mag triggered unit that still looked vintage I couldn't believe how much it helped.

Quote:
valve covers are swap meet finds for $50 - sandblasted and painted, also added baffles under the vents) timing cover, alternator brackets and alternator came out of my dad's collection of FE parts (he has built a half dozen over the last 30 years for various mustangs and even an R code galaxie!))
All of those are great calls. I had lots of used stuff powder coated and that has worked great for me.

Quote:
remaining purchases: carburetor (probably will go with 850 holley or quickfuel); starter (looking at RobbMC or powermaster)
I started out with a 950 Demon which I'd run on a previous car and it's a great carb but with the Cobra it'd choke me out of the garage while idling and I always smelled like gas when I drove it. Then I switched to an FI unit that looks like a single 4 carb. I must admit that the learning curve was steep and the forums invaluable but once it was set up correctly my god it was like a different car! I could stand outside the car and start it cold, it wouldn't choke me out of the garage, it didn't smell at all while driving and mileage (not like I was really looking for it) nearly doubled.

Good luck man. I'm enjoying you build!

Steve