View Single Post
Old 12-23-2016, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICCARS View Post
No worries Dave, my pleasure. Did you get the link for the rear spoiler also, I think that style of spoiler looks great and wouldn't have it off my GT40 now it's on there..
Gee Wil I wish you hadn't posted this photo. I really do!

My initial reaction on seeing it was -- this is heresy, messing with one of the best loved and most iconic shapes in all of the history of motor racing. All I could see was a Pantera or a Countach with their monster wings and I thought how could anyone "stick a wing" on the GT40's beautiful svelte body? I even had a flash of the totally weird Chaparral Can Am car from the mid-sixties. Scary stuff!

After I'd cooled down a bit I thought well, the Mk2 had those ugly snorkel-type intakes and the Mk4 with it's extended tail looked particularly cumbersome and heavy around the rear, so in the name of development Ford had already messed with the original design purity.

Then I went back to your photo for the umpteenth time and thought, the wing doesn't really look all that heavy I suppose, in fact it looks rather delicate, yet strong, at the same time. And if I were to try to get past my initial negative reaction, I had to admit that the overall effect is quite pleasing. (I don't know about rear vision -- but too bad.)

I'm coming to like it more and more but I don't want to! For fifty years I've held the strong belief that the GT40 belongs in that small group of "perfect" cars, like the E Type, the Aston Martin DBR1, and the Ferrari 250 Lusso, and as such shouldn't be interfered with by mere mortals. Problem is, the more I look at your car, ....

Thanks a lot mate!!!