View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham
Not Ranked     

As a final note, for reference for anyone using a quicktime bellhousing:

I adjusted the bellhousing to optimize trans runout, and then installed the headers and clutch and trans and driveshaft, and then finally got around to installing the starter after all the test fitting. with the bellhousing in place, the starter holes in the block plate (the thick metal plate between the bellhousing and block) did not line up perfectly with the threads in the bellhousing! I couldnt start the bolts. uggh.

i thought I would have to drill out the holes in the block plate, which really cant be done well with the bellhousing (and thus transmission) in place. but i ended up taking a tap, and running it backwards through the mounting holes in the bellhousing (the bolt holes for the starter are threaded all the way through the bellhousing, so i tapped from the trans side of the bellhousing all the way through the block plate), and thus tapping the off-center holes in the block plate. Since it was only off-center a little bit, this worked, so i could thread in the bolts through the starter now.

If i had to remove the bellhousing, and transmission, just to mount the starter, I would have had a tantrum. there is not a lot of room to access the starter bolts (especially not the bottom one so close to the frame), so I see why kirkham recommended installing the starter before installing the engine.