View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

Back to the actual machine. I find it useful to write about my ideas and have people offer constructive criticism, so I can improve my plans.

To me, it is less about creating a 100% faithful replica, but more about capturing the essence of what a Cobra "is".

I started my fixation with the Cobra in 1976, when at the tender age of 13, I had $3000 burning a hole in my pocket from the sale of some feeder cattle, and I happened upon a clapped out race Cobra at the Spencer, Iowa race track. My dad talked me out of buying it and I got my 1967 Mustang convertible, instead. I always regretted that decision, and swore to some day own a Cobra like the one I saw.

So, I want to create the essence of that machine, but not copy it. Unfortunately, while I can finally afford to build a Cobra replica, my funding is barely adequate, so I need to be deliberate in my build.

I have thought about it for literally decades, and have come up with the following criteria, in the order of importance:

1. Body shape. Has to be clean and true to the original shape. (Hurricane Motorsports, FTW!)
2. 15" wheels. In my opinion, the 15" fat tires are a hallmark of the breed. Will probably go MT SR, as I think the Firestone Indy tires from Coker are too limiting in application.
3. FE powered. To me, the displacement is not crucial, but the sound, power and appearance of the FE engine is pretty important. Unless it's a 289 Cobra, and then it should be SBF powered. Plus, I have a built 390 sitting in my mom's machine shed, and there is a certain kismet to using that engine I built over 30 years ago that I pulled from my grandfather's Mercury in a Cobra replica.
4. IRS. I am so tempted to cut corners with a live axle in a 3 link suspension, yet I think the IRS, or at least the idea of the IRS completes the concept.
5. Pin Drive. The last, and least important aspect of my prospective build, but Pin Drive really is the icing on the cake. Unfortunately, I don't particularly care for the wine glass wheels that are available. They are too angular and stark. I prefer kidney beans, and am tempted to abandon my idea for pin drive for Coker Tire's Rocket Igniter wheels with fake spinners in the hub.

As my impending deployment has stretched out my plans yet another year, I am currently going back and forth over two different concepts.

1. Murdered out black on black. Black wheels, gloss black paint, flat black stripes and number roundels, with black exhaust.

2. Dark blue with LeMans gold wheels and black exhaust.

I have my own paint rig and booth, so I may end up doing both.

It's frustrating to finally have the money available. It is going to be a long year.

Last edited by 120mm; 01-23-2017 at 08:09 PM..