View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
So, I want to create the essence of that machine, but not copy it. Unfortunately, while I can finally afford to build a Cobra replica, my funding is barely adequate, so I need to be deliberate in my build.
I fell in the same category. I wanted to build a cobra that was as close to original looking as possible, and affordable for me. That excluded SAI/CSX and Kirkham/KMS.

Along with your originality traits mentioned below, the new Hurricane also comes standard with original style floor-mounted clutch and brake pedals, dash support tubes, rolled body edges in the cockpit that simulate aluminum over tubular frame, correct roll bar shape and angle, aluminum fuel tank, correct dash design and layout, front suspension cross-bracing, and probably a few other originality features I can't remember just now...

Quote:
1. Body shape. Has to be clean and true to the original shape. (Hurricane Motorsports, FTW!)
As you stated, Hurricane body is molded from CSX3235

Quote:
2. 15" wheels. In my opinion, the 15" fat tires are a hallmark of the breed. Will probably go MT SR, as I think the Firestone Indy tires from Coker are too limiting in application.
I agree, and I have 15" Goodyear Billboard bias ply tires. After I get on the the road and wear them out I might go to MTs. Or Avons if I can afford them.

Quote:
3. FE powered.
I went with 351W-based 427cid SBF, for affordability and drive-ability. But I hope to make it appear vintage looking with pent-roof valve covers, FE-style expansion tank, etc. And while making 600hp, and 3" I.D. side pipes it should make quite a 'loud' impression.

Quote:
4. IRS.
Again, Hurricane offers a very well-engineered IRS option.

Quote:
5. Pin Drive.
With the Hurricane you can go either pin-drive or 5-lug, or upgrade to pin-drive at a later time. There are lots of wheel choices. I went with Trigo's standard 427 style 5-pin "Hallibrand" looking wheels with dark grey powercoat.

Quote:
As my impending deployment has stretched out my plans yet another year, ...
year.
Good luck on your deployment and thank you for your service!

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!