View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
Here is what the stock original hardware looks like.....the comp car parts are different.
To add to John's comments, Shelby American did develop more robust parts for some racing applications, spring eye bolts come to mind, but the Shelby team did more service and inspection of those parts to forestall premature failures than most people would do for a street car.

SAI didn’t just replace some bolts in the front suspensions. They added a coordinated set of modifications to stabilize the whole front end for endurance racing.

One SAI modification that greatly stabilized the front control arms was the addition of a cross bar (tube) to triangulate the assembly. (Even the second works Dragonsnake got this modification over time.) That makes the lower assembly much more rigid. To stabilize the road spring they welded in sections of key stock so more than four bolts kept the spring from being able to rotate about its center if the four bolts were not sufficient, and they were not on rough road courses. SAI added bracing to the rack and pinion steering mounting system to firm that system up also.

Last edited by Dan Case; 01-17-2017 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: add detail