View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Default 1962-64 Cobra Stabilizer Bar Mounting

Here’s some pictures of original stabilizer bar mounting bushings and clamps 1962-1964. Clamps varied some because they were hand fabricated. The bushings are Ford parts.

This image is a clip from a photograph taken late summer 1964 at Shelby American of a new Cobra being prepared to fill an order.

Street and most race (CSX2431 doesn’t count because it had many non stock systems tested on it) including the first Daytona Coupe before 427 Cobras were developed the rubber bushings for the bar was a 1950s Ford part and the clamps to fix them to the chassis were hand fabricated from hot rolled steel flat bar. I don’t know if SAI fabricated the clamps or had them made but today that are pretty rare. It literally took more than three decades for me to get unmolested samples of original clamps in my hands to reverse engineer into drawings.

By sometime in 1965 the clamps and bushings were quite different, the clamp was then a purchased part. At least some Cobras finished in 1965 and some 427 Cobras finished in 1966 used the same parts for a front stabilizer system, example CSX2497 and CSX3265 front stabilizer bar systems were the same.

Last edited by Dan Case; 01-20-2017 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: add detail