View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

What was removed from CSX3265 was removed before the extensive modifications were started and that included the "rounded" style bushing clamps and half round type bushings. The parts look similar 1965 MUSTANG GT350 parts. Based on Registry information the original owner did some limited local racing after having purchased some parts to do so. The man in Georgia that seriously modified the car bought the car in a dismantled state. When I first looked that this car it had some very new looking Minilite® magnesium wheels on the rolling chassis. The man from Georgia had quite a collection of new old stock factory and new aftermarket parts at his house. None of the racing parts except the wheels appeared to be used. Memory says the collection of engine parts had not even been assembled yet. I was there looking to buy original parts I wanted and or could afford. There was a new old stock in the SAI shipping box roll bar kit for a 427 Cobra that I debated about buying but didn’t. The second owner sold off original parts removed from the car to finance the conversion to the racer he had in mind. I saw the car in some pictures at a later date and by that time it had been heavily modified all over inside and out. I bought the used front stabilizer bar system, the style SAI installed on cars, complete original dirt and all except for the fasteners that held the bushing grommets to the chassis, which were gone by that time.

As I said, clamps and bushings in use by mid 1965 were quite different. CSX2497 was used to fill an order for a Cobra built into the Stage 1 competition configuration in September 1965. It got the rounded style clamps and half round style bushings.

There was not a great number of street Cobras that got fitted with front stabilizer bar systems, at least not at initial order time. Finding a car with its system or even an original system installed post delivery intact is rare.

Last edited by Dan Case; 01-21-2017 at 11:25 AM..