View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
If I had "a complete unrebuilt 390 and a couple 352s" the decision would be easy - forget the SBF and build the Cobra around the FE. You could always do a basic rebuild / refresh on any of those and use them for a while "as is" and I'm sure they'd provide plenty of thrills. If you decide you want more you can always install a stroker kit later and build yourself something bigger / better / faster - now or later.
I need to examine the FEs I have. I'm pretty sure the cars they came in were completely played out before the went to the grove. But you definitely make me want to favor the FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cimino View Post
Use the 390 block and stroke it. You can get 431 ci from a 4.125 stroke, or 445 from a 4.25 stroke (That's with a ,030 cleanup bore). Or, if you want 427 ci, you can use your 352 block, bore it .060 and stroke it to 4.125. The good side is you will get a new crankshaft and way better than stock rods. Also get a copy of Barry Rabotnic's "How to build Max-performance Ford FE Engines. There's a wealth of information in there.
I have a year to gather parts and study up on FEs, so will do so. I purchased the Rabotnic's book online and will be able to read it on my computer.

I'm not hung up on the displacement number. But it's kind of cool that Dad/Grandpa's old sedan engine might be turned into something fire breathing, in a Cobra replica. It has a certain humor that is appealing.