View Single Post
Old 01-24-2017, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I'm building a car with Tilton 600 series floor mounted pedals. That lends itself to a Lokar style cable assembly to the carburetor. So what you use will depend on the entire throttle system. ... As for the harness, as long as it's properly certified, its a matter of preference for appearance, latches, budget, etc. I like the lift latch with a hook because its just like the one in the airplanes I used to fly, so I'm used to it.

For track use, you'll need to protect the engine against oil starvation due to sloshing. After I killed my first engine at an autocross, I added an Accusump and a big red oil pressure low light in the middle of the dash. Novices don't have time to check the gauges on the track. ... If you're going to a fast track with lots of hard braking, you'll want to change the brake fluid before every track day. So put the brake fluid reservoirs where they are easy to reach.

One more thing about track use. After my first day of hard turning I had a good bruise on my left bicep from being pushed into the door. I upgraded to a real racing seat and its much more comfortable. ... My point is that some of the things that will make your car better on the track will also make it appear less authentic (e.g., a real roll bar system). So you need to decide what is more important to you, authentic appearance or functionality.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor