View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 05:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I'm not an engine builder

so when I build an engine I get my buddy Eddie who is an engine builder to help me. I watch him and hand him tools and do the dirty work and clean up after he leaves.

I had an engine that would run out of oil in the top of third gear (6000 rpms) 100 mph. Oil pressure gauge would go to zero. Problem was dip stick was marked wrong and the pick up was 5/8" off the bottom of the pan.

Now I clay check all pick up / oil pan clearance.

And through the years I have found several Cobra dip sticks marked incorrect. We assume the factory got it right when they made the dip stick. But they don't know what block, timing chain cover or oil pan we are going to use.

One time I was helping with a 440 and was doing some research for a oil pan. Some would list the pan as a 5 qt and others 4 qt. After a couple of hours I found the pans were the same but some would add the qt for the oil filter. I guess they though it would sell better if it sounded like it held more oil.
So now I find out how much oil a pan holds and add that amount of oil then crank the motor, let it run for a couple of minutes and shut it down. Wait 15 minutes and check the dip stick. Most of the time I have to remark or cut the dip stick. I know it very anal for a street motor but that just a flaw in me.

Dwight