Old 02-01-2017, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompClassics View Post
Dan,
Did you find any info on pre-1965 Lincolns as they were also available with alternators as well.
Mercury and Ford used various Ford and other brand alternators 1963-64 for select high end option packages in several automobile and truck model lines. Most of the Ford designs service assemblies and service parts I see floating around have Thunderbird based service part numbers. None of the other brands have anything to do with Cobras. Ford made versions, and there were several, shared many components. Service rotors, stators, brushes, brush holders, circuit boards, and back end shaft bearings are not hard to find yet.

If someone is interested, check ebay® offerings as Ford distributed a 1963 set of identification and service books to dealers and copies are frequently offered for sale. Also out there but harder to find is the Ford Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) that covers 1963-64 alternators. TSBs are very rare because most dealers threw them away at some point in time.

The only trick to thoroughly servicing the 1963-64 alternators is the press on sheave and fan assembly. Ford provided a tool to dealers that allowed a mechanic to remove the sheave and fan without significant damage. I couldn’t find a Ford tool for sale decades ago so I designed a similar one. I designed my version so it would not damage the sheave bore or shaft end or even the paint anywhere easy to see.