Old 02-03-2017, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
cobrakiwi

Can't get a picture to upload this am for some reason, but in your picture it would be the triangular square tubing reaching from the upper rear hoop area to the far rear corners on both sides. Look closely at the trunk picture, enhanced, you can see the carpet/trim is attached to the inner quarter panel and not pushed forward (IE: covering) to where the square tubing should be located. Nobody I know who would go through the process of installing an aluminum body would forget that type of support for the rear body...

Mikeinatlanta,

To be specific about the bet, we are talking about the main body and not the hood, trunk, or doors. If so, I'll take that bet

Bill S.

The square tubing you point out does nothing to support the body work of the car, IMO what it does do, it gives a structure for the inner trunk panels a place to be fastened to, it also helps mount the roll bar bracket, fuel pumps, and I believe on the street cars exhaust pipe hangers. It does tie into the outer corner, but gives little to no support to the outer corner or body.

On my frames, believe it or not the 3/4 round tube that runs from the outer corner down to the suspension tower (under the 1inch square tubing) adds the strength.

You could certainly build a car without that section of tubing and end up with the problem of not having a way to finish off the trunk as the originals did, as we see with this car in question.

What I do see from the OP's picture of the trunk is, there looks to be a steel tubing brace that is fixed to the trunk floor,(my guess would be, fixed to frame under the floor) that looks like it could help support the sub structure that supports the tubing that supports the body.

There's an old saying my grandfather used a lot around me, " Lad, there's more than one way to skin a cat"