View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
The 4 hour plug change story for an FE probably dates back to when the 390 first appeared in the Mustang in 1967. I remember all sorts of horror stories on trying to reach a couple of the plugs due to the spring towers and other stuff. Seems like the passenger side was the tightest. I had a friend with a 69 390 Mach 1 and he ran around for weeks with a loose plug in the thing because he claimed he couldn't figure out how to get in there to tighten it.

Except for the driver side back plug being a little tight - they are pretty easy to get to on my ERA. A flat tappet hydraulic or roller hydraulic cam FE that's properly assembled should be a good reliable and low maintenance motor.
I had a '67 Mustang GT S-Code (390) in high school. Changing the plugs was a PITA since for some of the plugs near the shock towers you could only turn the ratchet 1 click at a time due to clearance. Not sure it took 4 hours though.

But I have a ton more space with the 427 S/O in my cobra, especially for plugs. Header bolts can be a bit more of a hassle though, but not sure how this compares to windsor motors.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)