Thread: Average Age?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2002, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmmmm. Now that I have read this entire thread from front to back I realized I have never contributed. I'm 53 Biological years old. Mid Life has been going on now for quite awhile. Started back in 92 when wife number 3 took a powder leaving me with two boys to finish raising. She found herself a wealthy attorney..
I was a career firefighter and the money was never that great , so being the single dad dictated two jobs. So we drove Tractor
Trailer when off duty from the Dept. No money for toys. Went to the gym as often as possible trying to regain my former buff self.
Thought I'd turn the clock back and be a serious threat with the young girls. Ha Ha they all fooled my naive self. Wrecked my cars,took me shopping.. all the things that happen when you are struck with the stupids of mid life. Decided to get away from driving big trucks and get into bail enforcement. Well around here the only enforcement you are gonna do is drive to Philly and go into neighborhoods that the philly cops won't even go. Met a repo guy from Philly one day and decided this is what I can be good at. Meanwhile back at the home front I fell one day at the firehouse.. I lay on the floor laughing at my gracefullness, then everything from my waist down went numb and things got scary.
Emergency room X-rays Dr says bruised tail bone. Go home and you will be fine. Everything went good for 2 years until my legs started to go numb and I couldn't pee right. Further testing shows 3 crushed vertabrae now healed but Firefighter days are over. LOng story shortened. Disability pension. Started my own repo business here and meanwhile gave up the young girls idea after it cost me 2 new cars and alot of heartache. Now it's time to have a cobra built for me .. Whoops youngest son needs help buying his first house. Cobra dream on the back burner again for the 20th time since about 66 when my former boss had two originals he raced hillclimbs with. Spring of 2001 Business is good on firm ground growing new Rollback on order time to renew my Cobra dreams.. New Truck delivered on Feb 28,2001.. 30 minutes later I'm lying in my driveway on fire from the waist up. Demo Derby car backfired through the Carb and found my maxwell coffee can 1/4 full of gas in my hands. My son put me out with a dry powder can.. I wake up 40 days later still in the burn unit.
I still have all my parts they just don't look the same and my hands are stiff, but they work. 6 months of terrible depression and pain later my secretary / friend/ who had taken over everything while I was trying to get better tells me that she has been saving money for me to get my toy and she has x dollars saved. On super Bowl Sunday this yr I'm on my way to Atlanta with 2 close motorhead frinds and an enclosed trailer. Finally after starting over (Divorce)three times and almost being paralized then becoming the human torce I have my Cobra. I think I've used up most of my nine lives during my years as a firefighter and since I retired, so I'm hoping to have a long time to enjoy feeling young again rattling windows and playing with the kids with the rice rockets.. Sorry this has been such a long story........ But it's been a long road....