View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VMS BDR - 5.0 Aluminator - Whipplecharged
Not Ranked     
Default Let me introduce BDR 1591 aka VMS Mayhem

Trying this again...

I wanted to start my build thread featuring BDR 1591 that has been transported to the Vintage Motorsports Skunk Works garage. I plan to update the thread with my experience in building the car that helped start my obsession with speed.

As I've seen from reading similar posts here, the AC Cobra triggered in me a truly visceral response to powerful, incredible looking cars. In fact, I read a magazine article way back when (had to be in the late '80s / early 90's) that involved a tuner car challenge. I'm still searching for it, but my recollection of the article is that an author recounted his experience of driving an AC Cobra replica that had forced induction (can't remember if it was supercharged or turbocharged). The line that struck me read something to the effect of, "I've never experienced a car that I could downshift into 3rd gear going 60 mph, stomp the gas and see in the rear view mirror the black lines of the car spinning the rear wheels." I was hooked at that point. I wanted to own a car that could recreate that incredible event.

Fast forward, and I accomplished that dream...just not with an AC Cobra. I'll not bore you with the back story, but the car I'm referring to is a 2006 Corvette C6 Z06 that has very few original powertrain parts. It's putting down more than 1000 rwhp / rwtq, the car has run the 1/4 at 8.5 seconds and run 181 mph in a 1/2 mile event, which are popping up frequently (traction is and always will be an issue and I'm working on that - gotta love the capability of stand alone EMSs. 200 mph here we come!)

Words are interesting, pictures are better. So, here is the Vette and the other passion - 1986 Porsche 930. My dad purchased it in 1986. I learned to drive stick in it, drove my prom date in it ( ). Fortunately for me, I finally got my hands on it.

Here are some pictures of the Vette from the last 1/2 mile event

And some other random pictures

I will update shortly in the following posts the birth and creation of what will be the car I read about in the article, but with my ideas made real by Jay and crew at VMS. Jay has been tremendous in every respect, including capturing perfectly the essence of what my BDR will be - MAYHEM. I know, I know, naming a car, much less with that name, is hugely susceptible to crazy amounts of cheesy. That said, when you fully understand what the car will be, I think you will agree, the name is perfect.

So, cheers to you all for your inspiring posts, deep wells of knowledge and tolerance for my overly worded / under-pictured first build post

John

Last edited by 1SwtRide; 02-23-2017 at 06:40 PM..