Old 02-23-2017, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsk289 View Post
I think the Lucas generator used a fabricated steel bracket,
More specifically, CSX2xxx Cobras fitted with any of the versions of 260 c.i.d. engines received Lucas® tachometer drive generators with large diameter cast aluminum sheave and fan combinations mounted on fabricated steel mounting brackets. (These comments don’t cover COB or COX prefix chassis.)

During December 1962, see Bob Mannel’s book, Ford started production of the High Performance 289 engine. Initial production must have been real slow because I have seen very few parts dated in that time frame. At the introduction of the HP289 engine Ford generators and Ford mounting and adjustment parts replaced what AC Cars had been supplying as far as CSX20xx cars were concerned when engine supplies met up with chassis in need of engines. HP289 engine production got faster circa February 1963 and relatively large numbers of HP289 specific pieces dated March 1963 are circulating.

One cannot rely on chassis numbers alone because chassis were not finished in order. The type or vintage of engine a chassis received depended on what was available at the time somebody got to the point of installing an engine.

Summary Of CSX2xxx Street Cars With British Electrical Systems :
Early cars with XHP-260, HP260, or Fairlane 260 2-V (CSX2006) engines: Expect Lucas tachometer drive generator, large cast aluminum sheave/fan, and fabricated steel generator mounting system supplied by AC cars.

CSX20xx through CSX2200 except CSX2126: Expect some version of Ford Fairlane HP289 (Ford made several design level changes of parts or whole assemblies more than once per model year.) engine with Ford charging system components; HP289 generator assembly with large diameter sheave (not the high performance FE engine style sheave), Ford cast steel mounting bracket, and Ford wrought steel adjustment arm.