Thread: Missing again
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
Sounds like you are eliminating each item as you go. One thing I sometimes do is run the engine with the valve covers off to see if there is any obvious indication of problems with the valvetrain. It is messy and a hit or miss solution, but I have found several issues this way over the years that were relatively easy fixes (and a couple that weren't).

One other thing to try- not sure how well this will work but you could put a dial indicator on the head and see if all of your rockers/pushrods are moving the same amount. If they vary by more than a few thousandths, you probably need to adjust again.

Have you checked to see if your push rods are the right length? Just throwing things out here to see if each item has been eliminated. Eventually, if you eliminate all the other items, it works down to one thing. My money would be on rocker adjustment.

Bob
Thanks for the ideas. I spent over an hour, using a couple different techniques, and each came up with the same push-rod length. I was thinking about running with the valve covers off to see if I notice anything.

I reset all the lifter's preload. Each of them resisted that preload, as I would expect. I don't know why there wasn't the resistance that first time.