View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
OK, so do this for me. Pack it on a ship and take it to Maui and drive it as fast as you can on the Hana Highway. Trip report mandatory
Good luck getting any kind of pace on the Hana Highway - unless you can somehow arrange to have it blocked off for a personal run. My experience is that it's so plugged up with gawking tourists in rental cars the pace is pretty gentle. I guess that's not surprising, considering most of them consider vehicles transportation appliances rather than devices to be enjoyed, and that turns over 0.2g are likely to end in calamity.

To be fair, my experience with the Hana Highway was in late December 2014 when every rental car on the island was booked and gridlock became an everyday event - hardly the idyllic experience in paradise! I did enjoy, though, more than keeping pace with the fellow who tried to lose me on the Hana Highway. He was driving a Mustang and I was in a low-rent Hyundai Elantra. He was no doubt unaware I once held a local track record for front-drive cars... (I know, not much of an honour, but still valuable when renting cars.)