View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I am the 3rd owner of an A&C. I believe it was purchased as a roller, base on paperwork that came with it. The pinion angle was hideously, stupid, out of alignment. The U-joint and pinion bearing were shot. I had to rebuild the 3rd member and replace the U-joints at around 10K miles.

The 4 link had no way to adjust it, which explains why no one fixed the wheel hopping bad pinion angle. I had a new set of lower arms built that allows adjustment. I suggest you talk with them on that subject. You might as well build adjustment in, from the start.

Second point. A fellow A&C owner who lives about 30 miles north of me, told me he was in a small fender-bender. He had to paint the whole car to make it look right after a bit of minor glass work. Previous owner painted my car because he didn't like the color and didn't like the look of the gel-coat. He said the good new was that there was little work needed to get it ready to paint, compared to a glass body that requires painting.

3rd issue. My gas tank was a rusty mess on the inside. I acid cleaned it (vinegar and lemon) neutralized it with baking soda and coated the inside. I took measurements and will make an aluminum or stainless steel tank (after some metallurgy advise) some day, if the coating ever fails. I would recommend either coating the tank 1st thing or better yet build one out of aluminum. It has no baffles in it, so the fuel gauge is all over the place from the slopping around. Maybe just buy a good fuel cell.

The car is otherwise fairly well designed and built. I did try to contact A&C several different times for parts. I have been waiting for about 10 years now. I'm sure they will get back with me when they find time.
I do not know if they ignored me because I wasn't the original purchaser or if they treat everyone that way after they have there money. One time I could over look, but three times is a pattern. The good news is there is nothing on these cars that you absolutely have to contact the original builder to get, unless you needed a complete body.