View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve meltzer View Post
Whata fight gettin' that fuel pump out without removing everything within 2'. So, now I wonder if I should just block the block and skip the mechanical pump altogether, or am i just being lazy? Pros and Cons? Your take? thanx. steve
Personally, I am partial to mechanical pumps. And the new one will go in easier than the old one came out. Do you have a UV flashlight? The reason I ask is that, because you had the secondary flood, it will make being sure you've sealed everything off a little tougher. Generally, after you've done your carb work and put everything back together, you tuck paper towels under the bowl, crank it up to fill the bowls, and if you don't see obvious gushing leaks, you pull the paper towels out to see if you have any dribbles, or seeping leaks and then you put them back in and let them sit there overnight. But the fact that you've had gas everywhere, you're going to get witness marks on that paper towel that might be real, or might be leftover gas. What I like to do after I've had my carb apart, and I think it's done, is put an eyedropper full of UV dye down the vent of the bowl I was working on. You would be surprised at how many times doing that has tipped me off to a problem, or confirmed the fact that the gas stains on the towel were not from the bowl because there was no dye in it. It really takes the guesswork out of leak detection. Here's the stuff I use and it's fantastic. I use an eyedropper from an old Rogaine bottle, which puts the perfect amount in to a Holley bowl.

Buy it off Amazon here: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008B57Q5I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]