View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
...each day I "unsubscribe" from tens of unwanted spam sites to which I have never subscribed, but they always return.

Could the redirects be responsible?

Cheers?....certainly not for the spammers!!!

Dugly
I've not noticed an increase in spam but then I don't use the web browser to read email on my cell phone (I use blue mail because the default mail app on the S7 took a huge step backwards from the one on the S4).

Unsubscribing from spam email is the worst thing you can do. It just confirms to them that your email is live and then they sell you to others. It's best to ignore it.

Most email hosts do a pretty good job of filtering spam these days. My domain and email is hosted by earthlink and every once in a while I log into the native email and look to see. They do get some they shouldn't but it's easy to add them to the whitelist.

If you have a registered domain you can determine WHERE your email is delivered. As I said, mine is directed to Earthlink (even though it stays in my domain name). I've thought about creating my own mail server. Observe that most email servers ACCEPT all emails, and merely direct filtered spam to a specific folder, but the message is still rejected. My server would behave like this: First recognize the event that everyone has probably seen at some time when you sent a message, you might get a reply from the server saying that the message was temporarily undeliverable and that your sending system would keep trying. My server would use this to temporarily reject with a soft error all email that is not on a white list. My server would then send me a message (daily) with the pending blocked message list, at which time I would white list the non-spam senders. Spam senders would continue to receive the "unable to deliver" until they time out, at which time they also remove it from their live list never to be bothered again. It shouldn't be too hard to do this since the basic SMTP (mail receiver) code is available from several open source sites.