View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf k View Post
Got it I think, just to be clear, you removed the bushing and shimmed between the OD of the bushing and the ID of the column? the bushing must be split then, to be able to shrink it.
I am not able to lay eyes on at the moment it to confirm.

Yes, it was a piece of rectangular shim stock to fit between the bushing and the ID of the column. The original bushing is split. Here is an exchange with Bob on this issue a couple years ago. Not a lot of help to you but may give you some insight to the issue.
Steering column play

Interesting, nobody else having turn signal switch issues, I must have a weak one. Where did you source your new switch?

Here is where I got mine.

VW Turn Signal Switch, 1966-67 Type 1, (Dimmer Switch Included!), 141-953-517F BK - Aircooled.Net VW Parts

It seems that I ordered from another source first and it was a real piece of garbage. There are apparently a lot of sources for new ones and they range from fairly nice to down right horrible. As a matter of fact I would call Bob first and ask if they have found a current source for these that they feel are good quality. I think I called this place up and talked to them and had them go through a bunch of them trying to find one they would actually sell to a family member with a clear conscious. It seems I remember there was a great variety in pricing also. The reason ERA couldn't help me out with a switch was because they said they didn't have a supplier for them at the time that they felt confident in the quality of them. Maybe they have found one now.
Good luck

Last edited by DanEC; 03-11-2017 at 10:34 AM..