View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8tr View Post
Hey cycleguy, how did you find the augers worked? I have a set for my 460 but havent gotten around to installing them. I'm currently running 3" straight thru pipes, perforated core, 4 1/2" body. Love the sound but its LOUD
Augers work well, but the sound is a bit less mellow than some folks like - I guess you could describe it as a bit 'tinny'. I suppose that's what you get when you're relying on sound waves bouncing off flat steel plates for attenuation! It's worth noting there are certainly some views out there that augers cut HP at higher RPM.

I had to slightly bend the auger plates to get a snug fit in the side pipes to eliminate the rattles - snug enough that I then had to use a heavy hammer to drive them in. Before that I had a pair in each side pipe that were too loose when first installed. That caused them to rattle under certain conditions (e.g. throttle closed, engine braking) and that drove me crazy. I tightened them up and re-installed them but found them too quiet, so I pulled one auger out of each side pipe.

Between the hollow centre core and the gaps between the plates there doesn't appear to be a lot of dampening at idle, but I don't mind that. Sound levels are quite tolerable under steady state cruise, but not so quiet when you're on the throttle. IOW you can use your right foot to adjust the volume - perfect for Cobras.