Thread: Sound level
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     
Default Sound level

Thought I would share - have seen some sound data reported elsewhere but not sure if I have seen data for the Kirkham sidepipe system. I have the stainless headers and pipes. With the engine at idle (900 rpm) and the car stationary, I measured 94 dB at a distance of 10 ft from the side of the car, in line with the exhaust outlet, with the measurement taken at ear level (approx 5'10" above the ground). Inside the car, again at idle and with the car stationary, I measured 104 dB with the measurement taken just in front of my face at ear level. Inside the car at 3000 rpm (typical cruise speed engine rpm) and with the car stationary, I measured 112 dB, again at ear level just in front of my face. All of this data was taken on my iPad using a fee app so not a calibrated meter. Engine was under no load and as noted the car was stationary. The background ambient noise level was 55 dB. Subjectively I would say it is louder when actually moving at 80 mph or so under load at 3000 rpm vs what I measured above (112 dB) in a static no load condition.

Mike