CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratchbuild, 289 FIA Replica
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutt gt View Post
So to get your thread back
Your planning the road trip
How about the car? What is the plan, 427, 289, carb, fuelie?
Original or modified theme
This is what I love most about the Cobra replica its your car, build it your way and it can never be wrong because it's yours.
I am building a 445 FE stroker, and am doing a tribute to the very early 427 S/Cs that were raced. 850 Holley carb, points ignition and other old school stuff under the hood. IRS w/3.73 ratio and a TKO 600RR. It's a Hurricane Roadster kit, so the body shape is right for that era.

Minimum/No chrome under the hood. Only chrome on the outside will be the headlight bezels, rear-view mirror and the windshield frame. Pipes and rollbar black.

Single stage enamel paint, either Blue or Red. No stripes. Dunno if I will put meatballs on it, yet.

I am debating whether I will do a multi-layer different color paint job (aluminum/blue/red?) and then do some sanding at normal wear points to show patina. Not going to goober it up too much intentionally like Lynn Park did to "Son of Dirt Bag", but will wear any honestly earned driving damage to the paint with pride. I own my own paint booth and equipment, so am not afraid to redo paint if I hate it.

In the spirit of the early 3xxx cars, I am considering running "as cast" 15" Hallibrand Cobra IIs on the rear and FIAs on the front. Big fat bias ply Goodyear Billboards.

The back story is that in 1976, when I was 13 years old, I had the opportunity to buy a trashed out Shelby Cobra race car. My dad talked me out of it, which is definitely a good thing, but to this day, my heart leaps into my throat when I think about that car. The body was so thrashed, it looked like a raisin, with wheels. I plan on recapturing that feeling. (Without the beaten in alloy body panels, that is.