View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 08:21 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve meltzer View Post
This has been a great educational experience for me, so thanx again. And thanx also, for the definitive Holley reference for the n/s units. While I'm foolin' with the solenoid, can you help me with this question....

I'm using an MSD 8981 timing control unit. (I don't think it's being made any longer) and it has a violet wire that retards the timing a bit for easier starting. I have it wired to that middle, small terminal (that I've labeled "IK"), but is that correct or should it be on the "battery terminal", so labeled in my photo and is the large terminal that's to your left as you view the picture (car's right). Here's the link for the timing unit for your reading pleasure.

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst...1/121-8981.pdf

THANX AGAIN. s
From the instructions:

Start Retard: This optional feature will retard the timing 20° during cranking to ease starting. It is activated when 12 volts is applied to the Violet wire and turns off (timing returns to the total timing) when the voltage is removed. Connect this wire to the wire that activates the starter solenoid. Note: The start timing retards 20° from the total timing.

You should connect the violet wire to the small connector on the front of your solenoid. That connector receives 12v+ so long as your fingers are on the ignition key turned fully to the "crank" position. As soon as you release the ignition key (because the engine has "caught"), no voltage flows to that terminal. You could, if you wanted, but you do not need to and you shouldn't, wire it in to the starter motor side of the solenoid (not the battery side, or you would always be 20 degrees retarded). The only conceivable reason you would ever do that would be if that little retarding circuit drew a God-awful amount of current to do its job (which it doesn't).