View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 08:17 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve meltzer View Post
Right, but mine also looked low when held upside down, as the factory says to set it dry. More later. s
Alright. There is an old trick that you can use if you really think something is misbehaving between the float mechanism and the N/S valve, but it only does it when you have the bowl screwed on. The only reason I know this factoid is because of the configuration of the secondary side of the 4160. You probably wondered to yourself "why is the float in the secondary side black nitrophyl and the float on the primary side brass?" The reason is not that Holley wanted to cut corners; it is, instead, because a brass float will interfere, sometimes, on the metering plate on the secondary side of the 4160. You can't tell this, of course, when the bowl is off the carb, because there is no interference and everything works perfectly. The way you can check a float in that situation, is with dental floss. You tie the floss around the float and fish it out of one of the top bowl screw holes. You then put the bowl back on with three screws and you can test the operation of the float by pulling the floss. You can also blow in to the fuel line and, if your lungs are strong, you can muster a good 2.5psi to see that the N/S is indeed closing. As I said, this is a rarely used trick, but you now have it in your back pocket just in case you need it.