View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
CVF makes some nice stuff. They make the smallest WP pulley you can put on an FE.
I like their stuff, but I had problems with both of the bracket kits I bought:
  1. The fittings on the PS pump interfered with the bearing mount on the steering shaft. Part of that was, of course, where the steering shaft was mounted. A compounding factor was the configuration of the return line on the back of the Saginaw pump. I ended up fabricating a short bracket to raise the inner mount point on the bracket - that made the pump more vertical and moved the lower portion up and in to clear the steering shaft bearing.
  2. The low mount alternator bracket would have worked on most Cobras, but the West Coast Cobra has an additional frame member that gets in the way. I tried a smaller alternator but still no-go. I had to abandon the idea and go with my old alternator mount. I may go with the CVF high mount (and matching pulley) at a later date - most likely along with a switch to a 3G alternator. FWIW, the mounting instructions were confusing as the two sheets seemed to conflict with each other. Referring to the spacer references on the photo helped - a LOT!

YMMV