View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA 351W, B & B 427 Cobra, 331 Stroker,
Not Ranked     

THE TUNE…

When I first started driving the car it sputtered and popped and overall gave me concern that something was amiss, it didn’t seem to be self-learning all that well. I noticed that the coolant temp was reading about 30 degrees cooler on the EFI interface than what the engine was actually running. The manual states that the learning doesn't actually start until the coolant temp reaches at least 160 degrees. So I relocated the sender from the back of the intake manifold to a port in the water neck and the temp readings became accurate. And subsequently the learning began and within 20 or 30 miles the car was very drivable. I now have about 120 miles on it and things are behaving quite well. Starting is instantaneous and it idles smoothly at 750rpm even though it has an aggressive cam. Throttle response is tremendous and there certainly feels like a good increase in HP over the 650 double pumper that it replaced.My plan is to take the car to a dyno and do some power tuning once I put some more learning miles on the car. I also plan to take the car to the Cobra track event at Willow Springs in May and that will give me a good opportunity to adjust the wide open throttle settings. Kinda hard to do in my cul-de-sac…