View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

Considering you have an ERA with pretty a close to traditional theme, I see where you would want to make it out of aluminum. But you can make some pretty nice looking and functional parts from 'glass.

Here's what I did with my Cobra. I have a 427W with port injection and 4 bbl throttle body. I made a 'glass turkey pan that uses the oval Cobra air cleaner and lid, but my base.

It was a 2 step process that you could use for your set up. I made foam plug that had high sides, but the base was carved for room for throttle linkage and various other bulges. Glassed it, then through the vent holes, marked, trimmed, marked and trimmed so I have a nice 5/8" clearance between the edge and hood.

Next, I masking taped the bottom of the hood and drew where the base would hit if it did touch as well as 4 or so witness marks. Then I removed the hood, layed the base on it and put a couple of hot glue dots to hold it in place. Because of the back reinforcing rib on the lone star hood, I slid the base back 1/2". This made it so the actual finished scoop would be shifted forward giving ample clearance. Next glass the flange. After a bit of filling and loving with sandpaper, I have a nice fitting part. I also incorporated a rear bracket to hold the pan, provide a hard mount for my IAT sensor, and a 1/2" tube to connect to the valve cover breather.
Attached Images