View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69boss429 View Post
If the bolts are the original slotted ones they may actually be to short with the new gaskets as they are thicker than the originals especially the white plastic ones
I ran into that as well and found that the hex head bolts are just a bit longer allowing better bite into the threads and holding better as well
This also allowed me to retorque in place with dual fours which was difficult with slotted screws
I feel like I am getting enough bite and they are torquing properly. Black nylon Holley gaskets were def thinner than the white ones.

I think my next steps are to double check the bolts with a square to be sure they are true and the head is square to the bolt and inspect the surface on the bowl one more time. Assuming that is good, I will switch to the paper holley gaskets that arrive in a few days.

As for tightening the screws when the carb is back on the car with the Tpan in place, I am able to do it with a slot bit and a ratcheting box wrench. That's what I did last year, but I'd like to not have to screw around with it this year. (Although now that it's been an issue I'll probably check it every time I go out anyway....)

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)