View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #535 Kirkham 427, 427 Side Oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
I don't see any mention of fuel levels versus hot shut down percolation.

Can you post a pic of the power valve blow out protection as you have described in Point 1?

And was this only one carb?

How much fuel was in the power valve vacuum cavities?
Gaz64,
Answers to your questions:

1) Fuel levels were set mid sight glass as per QFT instructions. I did get some hot shut down fuel percolation when I first got the motor running, but sorted that out with phenolic carb spacers. However, that was not the issue. Fuel would simply leak outside & inside the engine after priming the carbs with the electric fuel pump and not even starting the engine! Both carbs had the same issue.

2) About the blow-out protector, I'll try to post some pictures if I can work out how to reduce the file size, but I probably should have mentioned that neither carb had the return spring below the steel ball (like Holleys), so the ball simply drops into the brass seat which just happened to be a nice seal and stopped the vac signal reaching the pwr valve chamber. Rather than punch the ball & seat assembly out & install the correct ball & spring, I simply drilled a hole into the seat to allow air to pass freely. Anyway, poor workmanship from QFT.

3) Everytime I removed the metering block, the pwr valve chamber had fuel in it and the rubber diaphragm was wet. I always checked the pwr valves with my Mityvac and they were always good - i.e. no rupture. Fuel should not get into the chamber unless there is a leak path through the casting.