Thread: Fuel System
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2017, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Bob, both Walbro and Bosch make excellent in tank pumps that will support well beyond 1000 HP. The pumps are easily installed with one of the hats from Fore Innovations. Here is the link to their hat hardware, click here => Fore Innovations

You need to determine the type of EFI and size of injector nozzles you will need to use. I have attached three files two are XL files one is for a Mac and one is for a Windows PC. They are platform specific fuel system calculators. Select the proper file for your computing platform.

You will also find a pdf instruction file that will help you to understand how to use the calculator. The calculator will allow you to size a MAF properly, in the event you elect to use a Mass Air Flow system. If you elect to use a Speed Density system the Mass Air Flow Calculation will allow you to calculate airflow capacities for intake system components including properly determining the throttle body size your application will require.

On page 2 of the calculator you will be able to size fuel injectors for the duty cycle you intend to deploy and you will also be able to size fuel pump capacity based upon the engine's fuel demand.

The calculator uses a Brake Specific Air Consumption (BSAC) model so you do not need to try to figure out what your Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) for the engine you are building might be in order to properly size your fuel system components.

Page 3 of the calculator allows you to select a fuel and its spgr for use in the fuel demand calculation. Page 4 is a conversions page to help you to navigate between different units of measure.

The Fore fuel pump hats can easily be installed in the top of an existing fuel tank. If you elect to run return style you will need to plumb a return line and get a fuel pressure regulator and possibly a pump controller. If you elect to use one of Ford's aftermarket returnless systems then you will not need the fuel pressure regulator or the pump controller.

The Ford FRPP aftermarket systems have a variety of tuning software packages available for them. If you prefer to use a non Ford EFI system I would highly recommend the MegaSquirt 3 Pro system from DIY Autotune. Click here => MS3Pro.

These systems are far from all being created equal and the most popular systems are not always the correct choice. You are beginning a complex process of discovery that will at times be more than a little challenging. When you ask questions that receive answers that are not responsive to your questions or are buried in layers of technobabble, you may well be chasing the wrong system and you are definitely talking to the wrong person.

Ed

p.s. The file sizes for the Instruction pdf and the XL spreadsheets exceed the Forum's file size limits of 38KB so I can not attach them to this post. However I can link to another page where you can down load them to your computer. Here is the link to that page => Fuel System Calculator

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 05-13-2017 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar