View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Second part of my holiday was to assemble a RT40 1600S for a Facebook friend, he has been building the car since May 1997 and retired approx 2.5 years ago, sadly he had was found to have cancer soon after retiring and was treated for that, he was put on an experimental drug for blood clotting. he had an adverse affect to this and ended up having a stroke after beating the cancer.
When he had the stroke it sadly bought on Parkinsons fairly aggressively, and he was unable to complete the car before ending up in a care home.
I spoke with his wife last year and offered to assemble it 12 months ago, she declined and advised she would sort it out.
I visited in November last year and made the offer again, telling her I would be in Dubbo for Easter anyway so I can come and build the car.
She accepted this time so things where all put in place for me to have a few days before Easter then 2.5 weeks after to put the car together.
All the parts including many new items where all boxed and in the garage, but (again sadly) part of the Parkinsons was that Graeme would tinker and pull many parts apart, then put each item in a different location.
Knowing everything I need should be somewhere nearby the work started with gusto.
This is the car the day I arrived and pushed it out of the shed. (had to work outside as shed was very small)
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And this is the car now.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The car now runs and drives, it is off to Sydney this week to have a new headlining fitted and a new exhaust made, all being done by fellow Shovel heads, then it is ready for club rego.
Helen has joined a local car club and they are all set to put it on plates and then enjoy the car with monthly club runs.

Graeme had amassed a very nice little collection of Coronas that no doubt where earmarked as retirement projects.
I bought a 1600S coupe from them back in April 2016 and was offered what is a very rare 2 door wagon.
I declined on the wagon as one of our groups members from USA was very keen to buy it, and he can do the car justice having been a previous winner with car of show at SEMA, his intentions are concourse resto (would not have let him buy it if modifying)
This is the wagon.
[IMG][/IMG]
Currently there is known to be 2 in Australia and 4 in Japan (Toyota museum does not even have one) and that is total known world wide numbers.
This one will be the only one known to exist in America.
Oddly enough there biggest market was PNG.

This is the coupe I purchased (one of about 6-8 known in Australia) coupe is common in USA but not in the 1600S model.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have a fair bit happening at the moment so with any luck there should be rolling updates on next fun project starting soon.
The coupe is collecting parts for the next few years.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.