View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

No it did not.

Almost everything on this engine selection was a custom made, custom fit scenario. That 's not to suggest that putting any other engine is is necessarily easier. They all work you, some more than others. Another issue to keep in mind is that Modmotors and Coyotes have similar DNA but externally (and internally) sometimes have significant differences.

When I did my engine design, the OEM alt position on the supercharged 03/04 Cobra engine interfered with my steering column and something else I have forgotten over the years. One alternative was to use GT500 style mounts and leave it on the blower drive sheave or go to a modified mount and place it on the a/c drive sheave.

At the time there was a company in Las Vegas called Sullivan Performance Products. They made a nice alternator bracket that relocated the alternator just under the front of the driver side head and put it on the back drive sheave with the a/c, leaving the blower to have the front HD drive sheave all to itself.

This is what the GT500 alternator positioning looks like with a set of aftermarket billet replacement mounts;

Here is a picture of the GT500 engine driver side front with the alternator in essentially the same location but with OEM mounts;

This is the Sullivan relocation kit mocked up on a 4.6L engine.

After having spent literally months searching out aftermarket kits trying to resolve my own relocation problems I am of the opinion today that the best way home is to decide where you want the alternator to be and build your own brackets to position it there.

BTW as nice as the Sullivan bracket looks it positions the alternator uncomfortably close to the #5 exhaust header tube and requires a sheet metal heat shield to be fabricated to protect the alternator diodes from being cooked.

Because your engine is a Coyote, it is not likely that any of these alternatives will work for you — which brings us back to the build it yourself solution which in hindsight may well be the best solution.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.