View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

*13* I live in Gig Harbor and had to jump through a few hoops, but was successful in registering mine as a 1965 without Smog, safety, etc. Here is what I wrote on this Forum last summer after getting mine registered:

Success!! After many months, trips to DOL, calls to Olympia and a visit to the Department of Revenue, my Cobra is finally registered and title applied for as a 1965 Cobra.

I found my original receipt for title from Texas, showing tax paid and the car described as a 1965 Ford Cobra Replica and took it, along with my current Tennessee title to the Department of Revenue in Tacoma. The clerk there was very helpful and since I had owned my car for more than seven years and originally paid sales tax on it, issued me an exemption for sales tax. I took that document, along with my TN title and paperwork from Texas to the Gig Harbor DOL and walked out with my temp plate and registration for a classic, custom vehicle.

This process was by far the most challenging one I’ve faced in three states when registering my car – Including the original registration in Texas. Sure, in Texas I had to get an inspection from DPS and a weight slip from a certified scale, but after one call to the county I knew exactly what I needed. Here I had to educate EVERYONE along the way about the laws. One clerk at Customer Service in Olympia went so far as to tell me that all they did was record keeping. She said if I wanted to challenge what she thought was the law, I needed to get an attorney! Unbelievable!!

I am grateful for SB5585 and all the folks that worked so hard to get it enacted, but our state (or contracted) employees at DOL should really read it and learn what it means.

If your car has not been registered anywhere prior to now, you will have to get it inspected by WSP in addition to what I did above. They have an inspection station in Tacoma, but I know they get backed up and it could take a while to get an appointment. Also, you will have to pay sales tax, so receipts are a must as the DOL will attempt to look up the car in NADA, I was "lucky" in that I had alread paid tax in Texas a number of years before. Go see the DOL in Gig Harbor, there are two folks there that know the process.

Good Luck!!

Last edited by Gun Doc; 05-30-2017 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Additional info