View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     
Default It's always something

Today I was driving down the road and punched it for about three seconds (had to pass the teenager in the v6 Camaro who wouldn't let me in the next lane). It pulled hard until I let off. A few seconds later it was running rough. A glance at the WBO2 showed it was at 10:1.

I pulled over and then it died. At first I thought my fuel pump died - it did this to me once before. The secondaries had fuel but I couldn't see a meniscus thru the primaries' sight window - but I could hear the pump running. After a bit I looked down the throat of the carb and there was fuel puddled on the throttle blades! It was dropping out of the boosters even with the motor off!

I opened the throttles (with the resultant hiss as the fuel hit the hot manifold - I had the extinguisher ready) and was able to start the car with the throttles at WOT to clear the flooded condition. It immediately flooded again and died and fuel puddled back up on the throttle blades.

I was able to get home by turning off the fuel pump with the dash kill switch and driving at low speed until the car started to miss as the bowls emptied, then flipping the pump back on for three seconds to filll the bowls, then killing the pump again.

About 20 minutes later, with the car finally back in the garage, I took out the needle and seat. I didn't see any garbage so maybe the float got stuck. I didn't have time to take off the bowl - I may get to that tomorrow.

It's always something...

Last edited by Texasdoc; 05-30-2017 at 06:46 PM..