Thread: Shed build #777
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 03:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default Shed build #777

I have been a bit quiet on here lately, but figured now is as good a time as any to start a new shed build thread. I've never done this before, so any tips or recommendations are welcomed.

I have always had a passion for cars but have been so cramped for space for the last 10 years that I'd almost given in and become the "take the car to the mechanic and call me when it's fixed" type of guy.

I've never had a lot of space, nor the equipment (or talent) to actually fabricate anything of substance. This is all going to change with a 4 post hoist, a big capacity 5.5hp 3 phase compressor with an assortment of air tools, a welder, a decent work bench, linisher, vice, drop saw, drill press. You name it, I've never owned it!

The shed will be 16x10m with 5m high walls, and is being built with big 310 UB32 beams so it should still be standing well after I've gone. The steel fabricator was keen to over engineer this shed because he's concerned about the tall gum trees within striking distance of the shed. He has built it so that any tree that (hopefully never) lands on the roof won't makes its way inside the shed and onto cars. I'm tight with my money and never like spending it, but I want to do this shed properly because I can see it being my after-work sanctuary to wind down and play with cars.

The pad was originally cut around 9 years ago so it's definitely had time to settle. Last weekend I had a 3.5T excavator come and cut another 6ft into the bank to give myself room to walk around the shed, plus to have space for the air compressor and water tanks to sit outside and under cover. The additional fill created extra space at the back of the shed, and sits past where the concrete slab will go.

Mum' mighty Kia sitting where the back corner of the shed will be:

Excavator guy earning his money:

Some before and after pictures of the extra earth works:

Two full truckloads of road base ready to get everything level: