View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Was working by myself today, so did not want to move forward with trying to do the engine and transmission install by myself. Although, if I had to I would, but there is some time. Will not be able to make Mid-Ohio, just not enough time to make sure everything is right. Shooting for Watkins Glen on July 8 now.

Moved to the boot and started doing the prep work for the install of the fuel system. Stated by placing the ATL fuel cell in the boot and marking the cut points towards the rear of the boot. You will see in the picture two small yellow markers at the back of the fuel cell, those are the pickup pouts. I want the fuel cell to be somewhere between level and angled slightly towards the rear to ensure that fuel will be at the pickup points. Acceleration will force fuel to the pickup points and hard braking will slosh the fuel away from them. You do not want too much of an angle towards the pickup points, as that will decrease the amount of fuel that the fuel cell can hold. Mine is a 15 gallon fuel cell. It will be interesting to see how this effects handling, as the weight will be behind the differential, as opposed to right over it as in the stock application. The FIA cars with the extended fuel cells had a cell over the differential and one in the boot as well.

Then took my time and looked for any frame members that might be in the way, and sure enough there was a frame member.

So I took my trusty level out and measured the depth from the bottom of the fuel cell at the back to the point where the frame member crossed underneath the fuel cell. Then I placed a piece of lumber of the appropriate thickness where the back of the fuel cell would be and marked the spot towards the outside of the trunk where I would need to cut to drop the fuel cell in.

I then moved on to the fuel pump. The car comes stock with a Facet fuel pump already installed,

I removed the Facet and replaced it with a Carter fuel pump. Luckily I was able to utilize the same mounting plate and wiring. You may notice that there are two ground wires. The Carter came with one and there was already one there for the Facet, so I figured that an extra ground wire wouldn't hurt...

That was todays work, more to come tomorrow.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 06-14-2017 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: spelling