View Single Post
Old 06-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham/Southern 427 SO finally on the road
Not Ranked     

it's been awhile and the Cobra is still sitting, waiting for its place in line. in the meantime, can you help with the 4160 on my '67 'Vette. I believe this started when I pulled the carb to fix a leak on the secondary side, but I'm not sure. I also replace the throttle/acceleration rod. New gaskets, sl change to the vent rod (on the primary bowl), which somehow got bent a bit. No other changes.

Doesn't leak, and the car runs great in all aspects, except if/when you "slam" the accelerator at idle. Then it stumbles and usually dies. I cleaned the pump squirter in lacquer thinner and blew it out with compressed air. It looks like there's a good pump shot if you just "flick" the accelerator rod or the arm, but not if you do it suddenly and with the force of "slamming your foot down on the go pedal". Then the shot is poor. Floats are perfect.

Timing is spec (base=10° BTDC) and the vacuum can works fine with a Mity Vac and, visually, with a timing light, it advances under acceleration. New dizzy cap.

I have not replaced the a-pump as I'm not convinced it matters, but should I? Would advancing the timing help? thanx. steve