CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     
Default Ignition / Electrical Gremlins

Environment:
  • MSD 8477 distributor
  • MSD 6A analog ignition control box p/n 6200
  • MSD Blaster 2 coil (mounted vertically)
  • Optima Yellow Top battery in trunk - unknown vintage (I've had car 3 years, and it was in it when I bought the car)

Scenario:
  1. Car running fine no problems.
  2. Shut car off, came back 10 minutes later and there was barely a click from the starter when I turned the key. Voltmeter showed 11 volts (14+ when engine running).
  3. Had recently been having some hot start issues that seemed to be getting worse, so thought perhaps battery was failing. Replaced battery and got a small spark when hooking up ground - that tells me something was drawing power.
  4. A few key turns with weak 'clicks' from starter, but then starter engaged and engine turned over like crazy - but it wouldn't fire. There's fuel, but no spark.
  5. Coil was wet on top, appeared to be oil. Touched coil and it was so hot I almost burned myself. Removed + / - wires and checked battery again - no spark. Coil was hot electrically and thermally, even with ignition off.
  6. Noticed gauges (e.g. voltmeter, electric coolant and oil temperature) were no longer working. Switched 12V electric accessory outlet also dead. Hmmmm
  7. Replaced coil with new coil, heard a 'pop' from MSD box when + /- wires to coil touched each other (not a good sound, suspect I now have problems with MSD 6a - but that's secondary). No longer any current draw on coil with ignition off.
  8. Still lots of cranking, but no spark.
  9. Have checked all the fuses I could find, none of them have blown.

Questions:
  1. One suggestion I got was to look at the ignition switch - could this have failed, leaving ignition on and coil energized, while at the same time not providing current to gauges and accessory outlet?
  2. Could MSD 6A box fail in such a way as to cause coil to remain hot with ignition off?
  3. Other suggestions?