View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cars Limited, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     
Default Pond FE in mid build right now.

Hi 2 bars.

I'm I'm currently having a Pond Block 427 FE built right now. I wanted it vintage spec, but all aluminium, so have had a custom crank manufactured to O.E. specification. All I want is in the region of 500/500. I don't want the point of no return, to be every moment in every gear.

I'm in the same place as you, except I curently run an all iron 302 EFI in my Autokraft Mk IV. I'm hoping the weights will be within 10% and the distribution will be maintained. The decision to go all aluminium FE wasn't taken lightly and so far I've waited a painful 18 months while the saga of foundry issues has continued. Seemingly that's solved now. It's not been an easy wait as I'm in the UK and have relied on emails and faith....!

The (well known) builder says the new units from Robert are the best he's seen. He says the machining has been done, the assembly balanced and hopefully next week the heads will be on.
The big decision is the cam. I want to race idle but be able to drive the thing on street. I'm trying not to interfere, because Mr builder says he understands, I can't have it all ways and to leave it to him. However, it's hard to resist looking at cam specs, once you know the cam sound you like (Crower 16331/16257)!

I'm happy to share what I've learnt, but as I say it's mid build right now. However, I think it will be worth the wait and everyone here thinks I'm insane to cut up a complete car to make it fit.